Tuesday 19 May 2009

Stardust Speedway 002 - Retro All The Way, I Say


Well, thinking about the project last night and also what comments were left on my blog; I have decided on the sonic titles that I am going to focus on; now before making this position; I have been digging up all of my Sonic titles and playing them for a while to see what title would be best.

Now after my conclusions (and several hours of hard gameplay); I have decided to focus on two titles; the first being the namesake of the project; Sonic CD. This is my favourite Sonic The Hedgehog game for so many reasons (but this is for another time); but I think that its the iconic time travel mechanic which allows Sonic to travel into the past and future of his current location; but if he doesn't destroy any of Robotnik's machinery; it will be an evil future where Robotnik rules the entire world and the opposite effect when Sonic destroys a piece of machinery and goes into a good future. I like the way that if you don't destroy Robotnik's machines; it will always be a bad future; but why is the game like this is What I want to know. Also the inclusion of a Metal Sonic; the character that I am labeling a Captialist Figure that now has a Doppleganger; what was Robitnik trying to achieve by creating him?

Now the second title is Sonic The Hedgehog 2; the first title that includes Tails (Sonic's Sidekick) and another favourite title of mine. The main element that intrigues me about the title is the games final level; The Death Egg.

Robotnik's "Ultimate Weapon" which is exaclty like the Death Star; but also the inclusion of Super Sonic; Sonic's alter ego that he can only turn into when he has collected all of the Chaos Emerelds from Robotnik; but when he does he turns into an unbeatable speed machine that is twice as fast as normal sonic and can beat anything. But the downside is his power drains Sonic's Golden Rings Collection; so to keep this power; he must collect these items of value to stay invinsible.

Now I know that these tiles are retro titles; but the newer titles do not focus more on the colelction of items than the older titles does; more about speed and acrobatic set pieces. SO for now these are my two titles; but when I have done some further reading I could add some more titles and even include some that are not Sonic titles.

Now; I am going to play a bit more Sonic CD and enjoy the animated cutscenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment